For many years Christians have enjoyed the benefits of living in a culture heavily influenced by a Judeo-Christian philosophy and morality. This, however, is changing very rapidly. Many Christians will despair at this change and will spend their time lamenting the loss of the good old days. I believe, however, that with this change will come great opportunity. As our culture becomes more unsympathetic, even hostile toward the church and its message I believe that we will see the true church strengthened as it rises from the ashes of the “religio-political pop- subculture” which has so weakened the witness of the body of Christ in the west. As Christians it will become essential to know what we believe and why we believe it. Getting one’s theology from books written by toddlers who claim to have traveled to Heaven and back or from the latest Christian pop song will not serve as a sufficient foundation for us or our children in the coming days.
In 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 Paul writes that; “For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ” It is our desire that you, the people of SCBC, be equipped to address the challenges you face in your homes, your workplaces, your neighborhoods, and your world. To do this we must be able to think Biblically, and this is where Foundations comes in.
1. FEAR OF MAN – The goal of this course is to identify how the fear of what others think of us extends to every facet of our lives and what God’s Word teaches us about overcoming this fear.
– Sundays 8:30 a.m. from May 17 – June 28
2. TWO WAYS TO LIVE – The goal of this course is to solidify the content of the gospel in student’s minds so that they might understand it better and be able to share it with others.
– Sundays 8:30 a.m. from July 5 – August 9
3. GUIDANCE – The goal of this course is to answer, from God’s Word, any one of the possible variations of the basic question: “How can I know God’s plan for my life?”
– Sundays 8:30 a.m. from August 23 – September 27
4. MEETING WITH GOD – The goal of this course is to provide students with a Biblical understanding of why they should meet with God on a daily basis and to equip them with practical tools do it.
– Sundays 8:30 a.m.
5. EXPLAINING CHRISTIANITY – The purpose of this course is to study the very basics of what it means to be a Christian, according to what is taught in the Bible.
– Sundays 8:30 a.m.
6. HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE – The goal of this course is to give students a greater love for God and his Son by teaching them how to fruitfully read and understand the Bible.
– Mondays 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.