Growth Groups exist at SCBC to provide a platform for biblical discipleship and fellowship to occur and produce the maturing and multiplying of disciples of Jesus Christ at home.
Last Sunday night we had our 2015 reLaunch service and I was greatly encouraged to see the number of people from SCBC who were willing to commit to regular Bible Study, Prayer, and Fellowship together. As SCBC seeks to make, mature, and multiply followers of Jesus Christ at home and abroad, we depend upon the power of God to bring about godly change and growth in our lives.
The Growth Groups will be sermon-based for 2015. That means that each Growth Group that meets will seek together to understand and apply God’s Word from the sermon that Sunday morning.
Each Growth Group meeting will contain the following three core elements:
- Bible Study – 30-45 minutes. Grow in learning to read, understand, and apply God’s Word.
- Prayer – approx 15 minutes. We rely upon God’s power to bring about godly growth and change in our lives.
- Biblical Fellowship – Growth Groups are more than just a time for church people to hang out. It is a time when our regular Bible study, sermon application, and daily life come together.
If you are committing to be a part of a Growth Group, you are committing to be a part of the group in at least 3 ways:
- Attend – faithful attendance must be a priority (Growth Groups do not meet on the 1st Sunday of each month)
- Prepare – regular Bible study will prepare you for a profitable discussion about applying the text.
- Participate – express a willingness to share in discussion, care for others, and be cared for.
If you are a part of a Growth Group, start reading and studying the text for next Sunday’s sermon (Feb 15), 1 Cor 12:12-31. Use the preaching schedule below to read ahead and prepare for engaging the sermon on Sunday morning and discussing the text in your Growth Group.
Preaching Schedule – Early 2015
|February 22||1 Corinthians 12:12-31||One Body with Many Members|
|March 1||1 Corinthians 13:1-13||Love, A More Excellent Way|
|March 8||1 Corinthians 14:1-40||Love & Order in Worship: Part 1|
|March 15||1 Corinthians 14:1-40||Love & Order in Worship: Part 2|
|March 22||1 Corinthians 15:1-11||The Gospel and the Resurrection of Christ|
|March 29||TBD||Palm Sunday|
|April 5||TBD||Resurrection Sunday|
|April 12||1 Corinthians 15:12-19||No Resurrection = No Hope|
|April 19||1 Corinthians 15:20-28||Two men, Death, and Resurrection|
|April 26||1 Corinthians 15:29-34||A Biblical view of Death|
|May 3||1 Corinthians 15:35-49||The Natural and the Spiritual in the Resurrection|
|May 10||1 Corinthians 15:50-58||Resurrection – God’s victory over death|
|May 17||1 Corinthians 16:1-12||When I Come to You|
|May 24||1 Corinthians 16:13-24||Final Instructions|